Unless you have a perfect job in a perfect company full of perfect people, you are likely looking to move forward. Whether your goal is a promotion, a total career change, or taking over the world, taking the following steps ensure constant advancement.
1. Learn Something New Every Day
The world is full of information, questions, experiences, theories, and answers — so why not fill your mind with as many of them as you can?
- How To Do It: Talk to people. Keep your eyes open. Ask questions. Avoid making assumptions. Read books. Stay up-to-date on current events. Watch documentaries. Be open.
- How It Helps: Intentionally learning something new every day keeps your mind sharp, while deepening your knowledge on many subjects. It also inspires you to stay open to new ideas resulting in more creativity at work.
2. Talk to Someone New Every Day
Not everyone likes talking, but speaking with at least one person a day never hurt anyone — even the most introverted came through with a 100% survival rate in every study.
- How To Do It: Say hello or just jump right in — no one ever said you had to have “normal” conversations. Ask a question and listen to the answer — you can ask each person a different question, ask a new question every day, or ask the same question to every person, every day. Say “thank you” and move along — whether you have a 30-second exchange or a 3-hour conversation, the important thing is to open the door for interaction.
- How It Helps: Not only does talking to new people teach you new things, it also opens the door for important new connections and keeps your communication skills sharp.
3. Try Something New Every Day
Taking a step out of the comfortable routine into the unknown may seem dangerous or at least intimidating — you just never know how hazelnut will taste in coffee unless you try.
- How To Do It: The most important step in trying new things is letting go of the fear. Unknown or misunderstood topics, people, or activities intimidate even the most adventurous, but you will find that the more new experiences you survive, the more comfortable you become with the unknown.
- How It Helps: This is a bit of a wildcard — you simply never know what will happen. Meaning that there is no limit on the potential for positive results. You might find a new passion in life or stumble on a revolutionary way of solving an age-old issue.
You get the idea — personal and professional growth come from stepping out of the ordinary into the unknown, whether the unknown is knowledge, other people, or any other new aspect of life. So take the steps, you just never know where they will take you. And that is the best part.
Our strategy focuses on enabling our clients to recruit the right people for the structure in which they will perform. Please contact us to learn more about our expertise in Executive Search for Commercial Leadership positions in Medical Device and Biotechnology; including Marketing, Strategy, Sales Leadership, Training, Development, etc. We look forward to the opportunity to help you consistently improve your performance and your business!
Follow me on Twitter @PrimeCoreSearch.