Maybe new is not always better when it comes to books or politicians. But learning something new, trying something new, is always better than staying stuck in the same worn out place that has not helped you advance personally or professionally in the last five years. New is often intimidating, challenging comfort and routine, but it is also often the key to taking steps forward.
Try Something New
Whether you try a new route to work, a new sport, or branch out into a new area of your field, doing new things has several benefits.
- It reveals interests and talents you never knew you had.
- It expands your knowledge base.
- It shows you weaknesses you need to strengthen.
- It opens new paths and opportunities.
Meet Someone New
While this usually constitutes a part of an extrovert’s daily routine, it is often a real challenge or a distasteful chore for the more introverted. But it does not have to difficult.
- Reach out to other introverts who like silence.
- Find a jogging or yoga buddy — you do not have to talk very much while exercising.
- Join a club based on something you love talking about.
Learn Something New
Trying new things and meeting new people does one very important thing for you: it shows you knowledge gaps while simultaneously filling them.
- Ask a question about a new topic.
- Admit when you do not know what someone is talking about.
- Read a book.
- Follow a competitor on social media.
Think Something New
All of these new things will challenge you on many levels. And that is the point.
- Your perspective will change.
- Your habits will change.
- Your interests will change.
- Your schedule will change.
The changes can big or small; some will be easy and others will be hard; some changes you will notice immediately while others will take time to shows. But in the end, all these changes enable and push you to take your next steps in life, whether that is applying for a promotion, buying a retirement home, or anything in between.
Please contact us to learn more about our expertise in Executive Search for Commercial Leadership positions in Medical Device and Biotechnology; including Marketing, Strategy, Sales Leadership, Training, Development, etc. We look forward to the opportunity to help you consistently improve your thinking and your business!
Follow me on Twitter @PrimeCoreSearch.