Every minute a person in United States dies from a cardiovascular disease related condition. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the U.S., according to statistics published by the Center for Disease Contol. It costs hundreds of billions in lost productivity and health care.
Those who have cardiovascular disease, regardless of gender or race, are usually 55 years or older. For heart disease prevention, considering the risk factors in life style changes, is worthwhile. For those who have this disease, treatment is the best option. Of the many treatments and technologies for heart disease and related conditions, there are some recent findings and breakthroughs of interest. Some of these discoveries have FDA approval and some hold promise.
New treatment and technology
- Blood thinning drug Prasugrel reduces clumping of platelets better than Plavix.
- Drug – coated stent, Absorb GT1 BVS, approved by the FDA, reduces re-hospitalizations and repeat surgeries.
- New aspiration catheter sucks away clot before stent placement in arteries.
- MRI’s test heart disease. This is safer, cheaper and less invasive than the regular angiogram.
- Stem cells treat chronic heart failure. Patients use their own bone marrow cells in this treatment.
- Biodegradable heart stents. These stents made of magnesium, are absorbable by the body.
- Statins treatment for those after a heart attack, may lower risk of death.
- Drugs that lower LDL cholesterol by 50-70% , show promise for those who cannot take statins.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement device, called TAVR, is used in surgery to treat patients with heart valve diseases. This is useful for those who cannot have open heart surgery. Study is still under way.
- Drugs to block the protein RBPJ. This protein is responsible for controlling genes required for the growth of blood vessels in the damaged heart, following a heart attack.
- Inserting stent through wrist of patient with heart disease, lowers bleeding and risk of death.
Our strategy focuses on enabling our clients to recruit the right people for the structure in which they will perform. Please contact us to learn more about our expertise in Executive Search for Commercial Leadership positions in Medical Device and Biotechnology; including Marketing, Strategy, Sales Leadership, Training, Development, etc. We look forward to the opportunity to help you consistently improve your performance and your business!
Follow me on Twitter @PrimeCoreSearch.